OUR SUSTAINABILITY FOCUS
At IAAT, we believe that sustainable tourism is tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social, and environmental impacts while addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment, and host communities (UNWTO, n.d.). IAAT is also aligned with Leave No Trace Ireland and guided by their 7 Principles.
TREES FOR DELEGATES
For our 2022 Conference, we will be planting a native species tree on behalf of every delegate in attendance.
This initiative is with the support of Trees on the Land, and will contribute to offsetting carbon, enhancing biodiversity whilst providing a tangible, long-term benefit to the island of Ireland. Trees on the Land are dedicated to planting native Irish trees throughout the entire island. If you wish to get your hands dirty and be part of the actual planting, please do let us know!
This action is just one small part of IAAT’s longer term policy in supporting a sustainable future for tourism on the island of Ireland. For further information on our plans, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
A sincere thank you to Ireland Wild Escapes, who have also kindly offered to sponsor trees for 50 delegates.
We’re delighted to be working an iconic venue that is the Slieve Donard Hotel. Please view their Sustainability Policy HERE.
We also aim to limit the environmental impact by:
○ Using digital materials and marketing channels only where possible (in place of print)
○ Avoiding single-use plastics and travelling without plastic
○ Using biodegradable materials
○ Encouraging & rewarding public transport, car sharing, CO2 offsetting
○ Using certified / responsible suppliers where possible
○ Local suppliers within 10km of delivery/usage point wherever possible
○ Reusing / Recycling wherever possible
DELEGATES – SOME SIMPLE ACTIONS
We ask delegates attending the conference to make their trip as carbon neutral as possible. Some simple tips include:
- Marketing materials: If you are bringing marketing materials to the conference, please leave it at the designated areas and not in the main conference room. Aim to have a digital option where possible e.g. re-direct to a website or shared drive. Please also bring any materials with you that are not taken up by delegates.
- Travel: Where it is possible and safe to do so, please carpool with colleagues/delegates for your trip to the venue. You can use a website such as liftshare.com to coordinate this.
- Carbon offsetting: Consider neutralising your carbon footprint (due to attending the conference) by purchasing credible carbon offsets and other options through websites like sustainabletravelireland.ie and sustineo.ie/carbonoffsets
We are committed to supporting and conserving Irish biodiversity by engaging with our membership on education, training and local enhancements projects. And we, as an organisation, commit to endorsing the All-Ireland-Pollinator plan.
Comments are closed